Home Insurance, or Houseowner / Householder Insurance as it is also known, is one of the most important insurance policies you can buy in your adult life. Your home is one of the largest financial investment you’ve made, and that’s why it’s so important to protect it. There are three main types of policies which you can buy to protect your home:
Things I Should Know

Basic principles of home insurance policy

Protecting the contents

Coverage & exclusions

Making a claim
What Else Can I Do?

Read our FAQs on home insurance

Download the booklet on home insurance

Email this to a friend

Bookmark this page

Give us your feedback
This policy provides you with coverage against loss or damage to insured property (i.e. house, shop and factory) caused by fire, lightning or explosion.
This policy provides additional coverage compared to the basic fire policy. It may include loss or damage due to flood, burst pipes, etc.
This is a policy which covers your household contents and includes coverage for fatal injury to you as the insured. This policy does not cover damage to the house itself.
When you’re buying insurance for your property, always make sure that your property is adequately insured at all times, taking into account renovations and enhancements made to your property. If you wish to have a comprehensive cover for your house as well as the contents, you should buy a houseowner policy as well as a householder policy.

As the policy gives different protection, you should assess the type of coverage you would like to have before making any decisions. You should also, find out about the coverage and exclusions under the policies.
If you own a strata-titled property, e.g. an apartment, the company managing your apartment building (management corporation) is required to take up insurance under a master policy. Ensure that you get a copy of your individual certificate of insurance for your property to check the coverage taken up under the master policy by the management corporation.
If something happens to your home that is covered by your policy, submit your claim with all supporting information and documents to your insurance company. You should also cooperate fully with the adjusters or investigators appointed by your insurance company to assess your claim.
To gain a better understanding of your houseowner or householder insurance policy, download our booklet or visit our FAQ section on home insurance. You may also contact an insurance company of your choice for further explanation.